Saturday, May 11, 2013

About Divorce and Children



In my second book The Underwater Pyramid in the Bermuda Triangle, I addressed the subject of divorce. 
Many people think that divorce is an adult topic. However, I discussed it in my middle grade novel for two reasons:
 1. Studies have shown that children fear divorce more than the death of a parent. 
2. divorce affects 40% of all American children.

During a divorce, it is important to stress that the parent, especially the non-custodial parent is divorcing the spouse not the children. It is important for the children to be reassured that they are still loved by both parents.I believed that divorce should be discussed in my middle grade novel because it is so stressful for the children and because divorce is so widespread.

No comments:

Post a Comment